Monday, September 21, 2015

Time Travel: Back to May

How is it that May feels so far away already?! In case you are wondering, yes, May was quite the busy month as well!

Adorable!
It is actually very fitting for me to be writing/reminiscing about this May because that is when I walked at graduation for my Masters degree. Unfortunately, I had yet to defend my thesis. Well, guess what?! Four months later and I FINALLY completed my thesis defense!! Whoop! Whoop!

But back to May, shall we? First, Baby W turned four months old. I just want to go back and time and squeeze his adorable cheeks! These sweet little babes grow too fast and those baby rolls just did not stay long enough!

Our Lil' Pistols
Next, I graduated! Well, like I said, I walked the stage. But, my diploma will be in hand here soon! We met my family at the university for the ceremony. Then we stayed the weekend at the Big Texan in Amarillo, ate at their restaurant for basically every meal, and got to check out Cadillac Ranch! The restaurant was yummy, but the hotel was kind of ick. It was decorated Western style, which looked cool, but they should have saved some money on the decorating and bought some updates. The housekeeping was also questionable. It was certainly not the cleanest place I've been to. B found half a chicken nugget under the bed and took a big bite out of it. Bleh!!! 

Official Master Graduate right here!
We also got to hike some of Palo Duro Canyon! We weren't there long so we didn't get to see much, but it was beautiful. We'd love to go back sometime when we have some time to actually camp there. If you haven't been there, I'd highly recommend it. We just stayed the day, went horseback riding, and on a long hike. Only half of us made it to the end of that hike... It was super hot and I was packing W on my back. He is such a sweaty baby so I was worried about dehydration and sunburns. Hey, don't judge a sleep-deprived, nursing mother! A six-mile hike was not the best idea in that heat. For an infant or a toddler. My mom and I only made it about halfway before we decided to turn back. But the rest of our crew made it! My ridiculous father made it sound like the trail was the shortest they had, but he definitely lied. There were other, shorter options we could have taken. So next time we go, I'm trying out the shorter trails... And maybe the longer one again when it's cooler! And after I workout some... Ha!

We got this!


Gammy & B

Beautiful views

The ones who made!

Mid-May was fairly "quiet." Just the typical staying up to all hours of the night putting the final touches on my thesis (even after I had walked at graduation), dealing with allergies (did I mention they were vicious this season? I had to wear my big, fat glasses to my graduation for Pete's sake!), and wrangling two kiddos.

This was the last 15 minutes
of one flight.
The end of May, I flew to my parent's house to spend Memorial Day Weekend. Jeff was busy at work so I flew by myself for the first time with two kids in tow! What an adventure... There were some people who looked obviously annoyed about the fact that I had two small children on the plane, but we also ran into some of the kindest people who were sympathetic to my situation as an out-numbered parent. If you ever see a mom, or dad, trying to get through security or drag two littles onto a cramped plane (seriously, could they make those seats any closer together?), lend a helping hand. Offer to put away a bag, share a snack, or just flash a kind smile. Please, do not stare at me like I am the most annoying person on earth. Unless, of course, you are the 12-year-old boy who got stuck next to my 2-year-old on the flight. Your prepubescent glare of annoyance I can deal with and understand. Everyone else who is old enough to act like a grown adult, deal with it. You were that young once and caused your mom grief in public. I'm doing the best that I can here and trust me when I say that I'm more embarrassed than you know when my 4-month-old is throwing a hangry fit and my 2-year-old is yelling the Mickey Mouse song as loud as he can while kicking your seat. It's a serious travesty they don't make those airplane closets, I mean restrooms, big enough to hide in.

The boys actually didn't do horrible. They had their moments, but we made it there and back with no major injuries to body or dignity. A big thank you to those kind souls and their polite words of encouragement along the way!

For Memorial Day Weekend, my family rented a lake house to celebrate my parent's 30th wedding anniversary and my Mom's 50th birthday. I made them a little (well, a kind of long) video to take a walk down memory lane together: 


We had grandparents there, aunts, uncles, cousins... It was just like the old days when our families used to get together for the holidays and just have fun! There was even a lip sync contest. Haha! I'm not sharing the video evidence for that one!

Fishing with Uncle Austin.

He loved the slip-n-slide!

I LOVE this picture of my Mom.
Look at how happy and beautiful she looks!

Teta Autumn's overalls double as a baby carrier!

My Nana and Papa and all their great-grands!

The Waylan Family after 30 years
(minus the son-in-law and future daughter-in-law)!

It was an exhausting weekend (and an exhausting month), but we had a blast! It's hard to get whole families together these days. Too many grown-up responsibilities! Don't you wish you could just go back to being six years old? Snacks, naps, no mortgage or worries... Those were the days! ;)

So that was May! Did we slow down after that? Not really... Join in next time to find out what we were up to next! And if I ever actually get caught up to our crazy present day adventures!

Cuties



No comments:

Post a Comment